A blog of my digital camera exploits

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Using Technicolor's LUT file WITH LUT Buddy

--== This Blog Has Moved!! ==--
Check out my new blog, I AM Zech.

--Update: Technicolor took town the LUT file and replaced it with a .mga file. This should work just the same in LUT buddy without the "changing Pattern" workaround.--
Yesterday I covered how to use a LUT file without any plugins, but was informed that some editors don't have support for custom curves. So I downloaded a trial of Premiere, since I don't have a Mac, I cant test Final Cut, and fiddled around with LUT Buddy till it worked. The secret? Upload your LUT file in setup, then change the "Action" to "Draw Pattern", then the "Pattern" to "3D 64", and then the "Action" back to "Apply LUT". And that's it!

Here is my quick video tutorial showing how to do it in Premiere, but hopefully it works the same in Final Cut:


The only change I would make is putting the LUT file somewhere in the Adobe directory, or other location you know will continue to be around, instead of with the project files so it doesn't get deleted or lost when you move on to another project.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zech,

    Thanks for the info. When you download the Technicolor s-curve file, you get a LUT file. When I download it, I get an mga file which is not making sense to me.

    I read somewhere that Technicolor had added this file in the last day or so, I believe for mac's though I'm not sure. Am i not opening the file correctly to get the LUT file. Thanks for any help you can give.

    brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Brian,
    Yes, Technicolor took down the LUT file and replaced it with the .mga so it would work with Apple Color.
    I have had no trouble loading the .mga into LUT buddy just the same, except I didn't have to change the pattern, just jog around a few frames.
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, thank you for the great work puting this tutorial together.

    I'm having a hard time making this .mga file to work.
    Using Premiere 5 on Windows 7, allready installed MagicBullet Colorista, importing LUT using the setup option, clicking Done, but nothing happens to my secuence, I'm sure I'm not making something right, but I just can't tell what is it, because I'm following the steps on your tutorial, all I can tell is I don't see the color correction on the video output.

    Any clues?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There,

    I am running windows 7 x 64 bit with Adobe premiere Pro CS5. I have the same problem as elzZep.

    No change after I apply the LUT buddy, just as you did in the video.

    Please help.

    Vijay

    ReplyDelete